Our current projects include:
Real Time Atmospheric Mitigation System (RAMS)
The program has many applications including sniper support, surveillance and astronomy. Commercial applications include search and rescue and news media video.
Nonstationary Infrared Clutter Simulator Upgrade (NICSIM)
This project further develops the EO/IR sensor test capability initially developed under Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) funding for testing missile defense sensors. The original capability was used to test the Ground Based Interceptor (GBI) and Theater High Altitude Advanced Defense (THAAD) IR sensors in dynamic IR environments and in the presence of ionizing radiation (gamma flux). The capabilities being added include:
- Optical/IR flash simulating both impact flash during intercept or a nuclear explosion
- Addition of a second color to enable testing of two color sensors
- Development of control and analysis capability for test planning and test execution
This effort is carried out jointly with our partner Aeroflex RAD (Radiation Assured Devices) Longmire Laboratory located in Colorado Springs, CO. When completed, it will enable sensor test emulating the complete sensor fly-out. Such tests are invaluable tools for high value assets as they are relatively low cost yet provide the user near-complete assessment of the mission.
Related completed projects:
NICSSIM: A Radiation Effects Model and Data Analysis Tool to Maximize the Utility of NICS/NODDS Chamber TestingProvided sensor modeling and conceptual design for the NICSSIM tool. Dr. Tom Turflinger (NAVSEA-Crane, completed September, 2009).
DIRT: Downhill Image Reconstruction TechnologyProvides real-time image conditioning of long-distance viewing through turbulence (Navy Contract, Dr. Alan Van Nevel, completed December 2008)
Other past project experience includes:
- Development of composite shield/structure material for the NASA/ Air Force/ATK applications
- Development of a camera system for real time in situ tracer bullets quality control (ATK/Army)
- Design of neutron single event effects qualification protocol for radiation hardened electronics (with Aeroflex/RAD)
- Design and development of the Space Threat Assessment Test bed for the Air Force (while at ATK)
- Multiple survivability projects experience